Chicken of the woods schnitzel is a battered, vegetarian version of the traditional schnitzel that most of us know. The chicken of the woods mushroom is first covered in flour, then dipped in eggs, and finally covered in a bread crumb/spice mix and deep fried in oil.
Chicken of the woods is known as a great substitute to meat, and it even has a structure and flavor very similar to chicken, hence the name. Making chicken of the woods schnitzel is therefore a great way to taste the wonderful mushroom and to try a great, vegetarian alternative to chicken schnitzel.
Make sure to only forage young and fresh chicken of the woods, and check for snail bites underneath the mushroom.
You can also make a chicken of the woods burger by adding the chicken of the woods schnitzel instead of beef.
Chicken of the woods schnitzel
- 14 ounces (400 grams) chicken of the woods, fresh
- ½ cup (70 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (140 grams) bread crumbs
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon paprika powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Neutral frying oil
- Fresh lemon wedges
- Sesame seeds
- Flake salt
- Brush clean the chicken of the woods.
- Set out three medium-sized bowls on the table.
- Add flour to the first bowl.
- In the second bowl, beat the eggs with 2 tablespoons of water.
- In the third bowl, stir together bread crumbs, paprika powder, garlic powder, and salt.
- Take a piece of chicken of the woods and place it in the flour bowl, turn it around and make sure it is completely covered. Tap a few times on the floured mushroom to remove any excess flour.
- Now place the floured mushroom in the bowl with the beaten eggs and make sure it gets covered well in the egg mixture.
- Finally place the chicken of the woods into the bread crumb mixture. Again make sure it gets covered well.
- Place all battered chicken of the woods on a plate and continue the process until all chicken of the woods are battered.
- Heat up neutral frying oil in a medium-sized pot. Try to reach a temperature of about 375 degrees Fahrenheit/190 degrees Celsius.
- Add a few mushrooms at a time into the hot oil in the pot and fry until golden and crispy.
- Sprinkle with flake salt, sesame seeds and serve immediately with wedges of lemons on the side.