This quiche recipe is filled with tasty wild mushrooms and shredded chicken in a mix of milk, heavy cream, and egg. The recipe is made with fresh funnel chanterelles and black trumpet mushrooms and is the perfect autumn quiche recipe. Alternatively, you can use dried wild mushrooms. Note that the dried mushroom must soak in water before use.
What is a quiche?
Quiche is a French classic dish. It is an oven-baked pie made with eggs and milk or heavy cream in a dough crust. The crust should be baked before the other ingredients are added. Quiche can be filled with smoked fish, cooked minced meat, vegetables, or cheese that often get into the egg mass before baking. Quiche is not covered with dough, but an open pie.
Quiche with Funnel Chanterelles, Black Trumpet Mushrooms and Chicken
- 1 large egg
- 2½ tablespoons ice-cold water
- 1½ cups (200 grams) all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 7 tablespoons soft butter, unsalted
- 10 ounces (275 grams) chicken breast
- 5½ ounces (150 grams) fresh funnel chanterelles, or other wild mushrooms such as golden chanterelles or black trumpet mushrooms
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (236 milliliters) milk
- 1 cup (236 milliliters) heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons corn starch
- Butter to fry
- Whisk egg with ice-cold water. Change the whish to the dough hook and add butter, salt, and flour.
- Process the mixture until it forms a beautiful dough. Let rest in the fridge for one hour covered in plastic wrap.
Poach and shred the chicken
- Put the chicken breast in a large pot filled with water and bring to a boil.
- Boil for about 10 minutes. It doesn't matter if the chicken isn't completely done since it will also be baked in the oven.
- Once the chicken is cold enough to handle, place the chicken breast on a cutting board and pull the chicken apart using 2 forks.
- Clean the funnel chanterelles and chop them into smaller pieces.
- Heat up a dry pan and add the funnel chanterelles. Remove the excess water from the pan.
- Add onion and butter. Let cook for about 7 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
Make the quiche
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (200 degrees Celcius).
- Take out the crust from the fridge. Grease the baking dish and roll out the crust so it fits the baking dish. Pierce the dough with a fork.
- Pre-bake the crust for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile whish eggs, milk, heavy cream, corn starch, and salt and pepper.
- Take out the crust from the oven and let cool for about 10 minutes. Change the oven temperature to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (175 Celcius).
- Evenly divide the shredded chicken and funnel chanterelles on the crust and fill up the quiche with the egg-milk-mixture.
- Bake the quiche in the oven for about 30 minutes or until the quiche has stiffened.