If you are looking for a tasty recipe for your foraged ground elder leaves, you have come to the right place. This delicious ground elder bun recipe contains lots of ground elder, oatmeal, and all-purpose flour.
Ground elder is a delicious plant that can be eaten raw in a salad or briefly cooked. In this recipe, we briefly cook it, blend it and add it to our bread dough. The outcome is 16 super tasty and healthy ground elder buns.
Ground elder is not hard to find, many have it in their gardens, but ground elder can also be found in the woods.
Ground Elder Buns
- 8 ounces (250 grams) Ground elder (including stems)
- 0.8 ounces (25 grams) fresh yeast
- 1½ cups (4 deciliters) lukewarm water
- 2 tablespoons Olive oil
- 1.5 teaspoons Salt
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 2½ cups (4 deciliters) oatmeal
- 1 pound (4.5 deciliters) All-purpose flour
- 1 egg (for egg wash)
Prepare the Ground Elder
- After removing the stems and rinsing the fresh ground elder in a colander, cook the leaves in a medium saucepan or skillet using the water still clinging to the leaves. Cook over medium heat for three to five minutes and stir. Place the cooked ground elder back in the colander and pour cold water over them. Blend in a food processor or blender. When processed squeeze out the water.
Ground Elder Buns
- In a large mixing bowl, add fresh yeast and lukewarm water. Mix until the yeast is dissolved in the water. Add olive oil, salt, sugar, and oatmeal. Mix well.
- Mix in the blended ground elder leaves and add all-purpose flour.
- Knead the dough well on a clean countertop with a bit of flour. Let the dough rise for 1 hour covered with a kitchen towel.
- Knead the dough again and form 16 buns on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Let them rise for another 30 minutes covered with a kitchen towel.
- Meanwhile, beat the egg for eggwash and preheat the oven to 480 degrees Fahrenheit (250 degrees Celsius).
- Brush the buns with the beaten egg and bake the buns for about 20 minutes in the middle of the oven.
- Serve the freshly baked buns with butter and enjoy!