Chocolate hazelnut cake with topping
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 100 grams (6/8 cup) hazelnuts + extra for garnish
- 150 grams (3/4 cup) butter
- 4 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 250 grams (1 3/4 cups) all-purpose flour
- 200 grams (7/8 cup) sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2.5 deciliters (1 cup) water
- 2 eggs
- 1 deciliter (3/8 cup) heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 100 grams (3.5 oz) semi-sweet chocolate
- Over medium heat, slowly melt the sugar on a frying pan. When the sugar has melted, add the hazelnuts and stir. They are done when all hazelnuts are covered in sugar. Place the finished glazed hazelnuts on parchment paper and let them cool.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 170 degrees Celsius (340 degrees Fahrenheit).
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and add the cocoa powder and stir well. Take away from heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Once the hazelnuts have cooled put them in a blender/food processor and blend until it has the consistency of flour.
- Add half of the “hazelnut flour” to the dry ingredients and save the other half for the topping.
- Add water and eggs and mix the whole mixture with a hand mixer/kitchen machine.
- Then add the butter-cocoa mixture and mix again until the dough is smooth.
- Put the dough in a baking dish and bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Allow the cake to cool.
- In a saucepan, heat the heavy cream and butter until it reaches boiling point. Remove the saucepan from the heat and add the chocolate. Stir gently until the chocolate has melted. Add the remaining hazelnut "flour" and stir well.
- Let the topping cool for 10 minutes and then pour it on the cake. Garnish with whole hazelnuts.
Try also these amazing blueberry cookies with fresh and dried blueberries and white chocolate.