Homemade stinging nettle and feta cheese bread is a tasty way of using foraged nettles. Nettles and feta cheese go so well together and can be compared to eating spinach and feta cheese. Nettles are so healthy, and you can pick them for free! – Just remember to wear gloves..
Eat these stinging nettle and feta cheese bread rolls with a bit of butter, and bring them for lunch, as a snack or eat them with a salad. This recipe makes 16 bread rolls, so if you can’t eat them all within 2 days, freeze them and save them for a later time.
Take a look at the pictures below the recipe to see how I spread out the stinging nettle and feta cheese filling, and how I cut them into bread rolls and twist them around.
If you are interested in following my foraging adventures and see more wild food recipes, you are more than welcome to follow Nordic Forest Foods on social media:
Nettle and Feta Cheese Bread
- ⅜ cup (75 grams) butter
- 1 cup (2.5 dl) cold water
- 0.5 oz (15 grams) fresh yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 4 cups (550 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 7 ounces (200 grams) blanched nettle leaves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 3.5 oz (100 grams) feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
Step 1: Dough
- In a large mixing bowl, add melted butter and cold water. Mix in the fresh yeast.
- Add salt, egg, sour cream, and all-purpose flour, and mix well.
- Knead the dough well. Let it rise at room temperature for 1.5 hours covered in a kitchen towel.
Step 2: Filling
- After blanching the nettles, make sure to squeeze out as much water as possible.
- Heat up olive oil on a frying pan, add onion and garlic and sauté for a few minutes.
- Add the blanched nettles, thyme, and salt and pepper and stir.
- Remove the frying pan from heat and add the crumbled feta cheese and mix well.
Step 3: Dough
- Preheat the oven at 430 degrees Fahrenheit (225 degrees Celsius).
- After the dough has risen, knead it and cut it into two.
- Roll out one half into an oblong square on a floured tabletop.
- Divide the filling into two and spread out half of the filling on the elongated side of the square. Fold the side without filling over the top of the filling.
- Push down the sides to combine them.
- Cut the square into 8 bread rolls on the short side and twist each of them around 2 times. Place them on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Repeat the process with the other half of the dough.
- Whisk together the egg with about a tablespoon of water.
- Brush the nettle and feta cheese bread rolls with the egg wash and bake them in the oven at 430 degrees Fahrenheit (225 degrees Celsius) for about 15 minutes until golden brown.